Internship Application Instructions
Applications will be accepted for 2018 Future Park Leaders of Emerging Change internships starting 12:01 pm PST, December 8, 2017. The application deadline is 12:01 pm PST, Friday, January 26, 2018. Please read the application instructions thoroughly before applying.
You may log out and return to your in-progress application as many times as you wish until it has been submitted. In order to be considered for an internship, your online application must be complete and in SUBMITTED status by 12:01 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST), Friday, January 26, 2018.
Only U.S. citizens and U.S. nationals are eligible for FPL internship positions.
Eligible applicants are graduate or upper-level undergraduates students or recent graduates. Applicants are eligible under any of the following circumstances:
- Applicant has reached junior level status in a degree-seeking undergraduate program at the time of application.*
- Applicant is enrolled in a degree-seeking graduate program.
- Applicant is not currently enrolled but plans to attend graduate school beginning fall 2018.
- Applicant is a recent graduate with a graduation date no earlier than December 2017.
If you are applying to graduate school for the fall 2018 semester, please provide proof of application in the form of a confirmation from the institution that your application was submitted. In the event that you are selected for an internship, proof of enrollment into a graduate program will be requested before the internship is awarded.
*Students who complete their sophomore year by January 2018.
Individual internship projects may limit applicants to graduate students only. See project descriptions for more information.
How to enter information
- You may begin completing the application at any section. To begin, choose a section of the application from the menu or click “Continue” at the bottom of this screen.
- Text boxes will hold only a limited amount of text. Before submitting, we suggest you print and examine a hard copy of your application to be certain your responses are complete and accurate. Where longer answers are permitted, the number of available characters will be indicated.
- The information you provide will be saved exactly as entered. Therefore, fill out the form carefully, paying attention to spelling, case (do not use all caps), punctuation, etc., and give special consideration when entering your contact information.
- Begin typing all answers at the extreme left hand side of the response area or box; do not leave a space or indent at the beginning of your answer.
How to SAVE and SUBMIT your data
- You must SAVE each time you leave a screen. If you do not click on SAVE or SAVE & CONTINUE, anything entered since you last hit SAVE on that screen will be lost (any work from a previous session will be retained, but any new entries will be lost). The SAVE and SAVE & CONTINUE buttons are at the bottom of your screen.
- You may work on your application over as many sessions as you wish, and the status of your application will be IN PROGRESS until you submit it. Once you are satisfied that your application is complete, you must go to the “Submit Application” screen and select SUBMIT APPLICATION.
- When you have completed your application, we strongly suggest that you print and read it before submitting, to be sure there are no further revisions you wish to make. If for some reason you need to make changes after your application is submitted, email email@example.com.
- Your application status and reference letters must appear as SUBMITTED by 11:59 pm PST, Friday, January 26, 2018 in order for your application to be considered. Information on your application status may be found on the Online Application Portal home page.
How to navigate
- Do not use your browser’s “BACK” or “FORWARD” buttons for navigation. Instead, use the navigation links provided along the top of the screen or the buttons at the bottom of each screen.
- If you have questions about the application site, please consult Technical Support from the menu in the above right-hand corner. If your question is not answered there, click on the “HELP” link that appears on the top of each screen to submit your query.
University of Washington
Instructions for each section of application:
Please note: All fields marked in red are required fields.
Contact and Mailing Address:
Please fill in each field provided. It will be important for us to know how to reach you if you are selected for an interview.
Please note: The questions regarding your gender and ethnicity are not included in your application materials that are sent to the Parks for review. The National Park Service and the University of Washington are committed to promoting diversity in the FPL programs and such data assist us in this effort.
If you are currently a student, please tell us where you are enrolled in school, what is your major area(s) of study, and what is your expected date of graduation. Please also select your current academic status and tell us your undergraduate GPA. If you are currently in a graduate program, please let us know your graduate GPA.
Some positions may require that you operate a motor vehicle in order to perform your job duties. Please indicate your driving status as requested.
Please let us know what is the earliest date that you are available to start an internship. Additionally, please let us know how you heard about the FPL initiative. This information really helps us to better promote the FPL!
Please select the internship opportunity(ies) for which you are interested in being considered. You may select up to three.
Follow the instructions on the application site to browse and upload files. Files may be of the following types: .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX. Max file size permitted is 3MB.
Please upload a copy of your college transcripts. Unofficial copies are fine. Please include transcripts to every higher education institution you have attended. As the application only allows two documents to be uploaded, please combine all of your transcripts into one document.
Please provide a current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) that outlines your educational and employment experiences. If you have never created a resume or CV, before, the following resources may be helpful. Please note, we offer these resources as possible guidance only, and in doing so do not endorse them.
- University of Washington Career Center: Resumes and Interviews
- The CollegeBoard: How to Create Your Resume
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: Writing the Curriculum Vitae
Letters of Recommendation:
We require two letters of recommendation. It is your responsibility to request these two letters are sent to us from either current or past employers or teachers. It is also your responsibility to ensure that the letters are submitted by the deadline date.
It is recommended that you select people who can provide the review board with a strong picture of both your academic abilities (problem solving, critical thinking, understanding of the basic subject matter helpful to doing the job, writing skills, etc.) as well as job skills (being responsible, taking initiative, ability to work both independently and with a team, etc.). A mix of people such as academic advisers, faculty members and past/current employers are the types of people who can usually provide this kind of information.
To request a recommendation, please follow these steps:
- Select the “Request a Recommendation” button below and complete the required information in the window that opens.
- After you have entered the necessary information, select the “Send E-mail to Recommender” button.
- An e-mail request will be sent to the recommender with instructions on how to complete the online recommendation form.
- After sending the requests, the recommender’s name will appear in the Recommender box below, with the “Status” of the letter itself.
Please note: You must enter your recommenders into the system from the application page before they can log into the Online Reference Portal. Please do not ask them to access the system until you have done this.
If you have any question regarding references, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.